The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life is the second book by blogger and author Mark Manson.
In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be “positive” all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people
For decades, we’ve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. “Fuck positivity,” Mark Manson says. “Let’s be honest, shit is fucked and we have to live with it.” In his wildly popular Internet blog, Manson doesn’t sugar-coat or equivocate. He tells it like it is—a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let’s-all-feel-good mind-set that has infected
American society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up.
Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited—“not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society and some of it is not fair or your fault.” Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace
our fears, faults and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity and forgiveness we seek.
There are only so many things we can give a fuck about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience.
A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in the-eye moment of real talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them truly lead contented, grounded lives..
- Author: Mark Manson
- Genres: Self-Help
- Originally published: 13 September 2016
Best Quotes From "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck"
- “Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”
- “You and everyone you know are going to be dead soon. And in the short amount of time between here and there, you have a limited amount of fucks to give. Very few, in fact. And if you go around giving a fuck about everything and everyone without conscious thought or choice—well, then you’re going to get fucked.”
- “Life is essentially an endless series of problems. The solution to one problem is merely the creation of another.”
- “The desire for more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one’s negative experience is itself a positive experience.
- “To be happy we need something to solve. Happiness is therefore a form of action;”
About The Author:
Mark Manson (born March 9, 1984) is an American self-help author and blogger. As of 2019 he had authored three books, two of which, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, and Everything Is Fucked: A Book About Hope, were The New York Times bestsellers.