Wings of Fire: An Autobiography of A P J Abdul Kalam (2005), former President of India. It was written by Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam and ARUN Tiwari. The book is full of insights, personal moments and life experiences of Dr. Kalam. It gives us an understanding on his journey of success.
Dr. Kalam by narrating his life journey evokes the reader to identify with one’s inner fire and potential, for he was of the firm belief that each one of us was born with the strength and potential to make a tangible change in the world. How he inspired himself to achieve dreams and how he went about accomplishing so much is what the book captures nicely.
The book recollects many anecdotes and stories from childhood, his time at school and college. The time spent at the Langley Research Center, NASA and Wallops Flight Facility gets a lot of attention.
Personal tragedies have not been left out. The time when he lost his father and how he felt when conferred with many awards like the Padma Bhushan have been written in much detail.
The second half of the book deals with Dr Kalam, the scientist who made a significant contribution in developing the countries guided missile program, a pioneering effort for the security of the nation. It’s not with reason that he was nicknamed as the ‘Missile Man of India’. The book also contains 24 photographs at various stages of his life.
Authored by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam and Mr. Arun Tiwari, the 180 page book ‘The Wings of Fire’ was first published in the year 2000. Mr Tiwari is a well-known missile scientist who has worked with Dr. Kalam. Having become a bestseller, the book has even been translated into thirteen languages, which includes Chinese and French.
- Author: A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, Arun Tiwari
- Genres: Autobiography, Biography, Inspirational Fiction
- Originally published: 1999
Best Quotes From "Wings Of Fire"
- “Be active! Take on responsibility! Work for the things you believe in. If you do not, you are surrendering your fate to others.”
- “We are all born with a divine fire in us. Our efforts should be to give wings to this fire and fill the world with the glow of its goodness.”
- “Why be afraid of difficulties, sufferings and problems? When troubles come, try to understand the relevance of your sufferings. Adversity always presents opportunities for introspection.”
- “To succeed in life and achieve results, you must understand and master three mighty forces— desire, belief, and expectation.”
- “If you want to leave your footprints On the sands of time Do not drag your feet.”
About The Author:
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam from 2002 to 2007 served as the 11th President of India. Greatly admired all over India, he was a scientist by profession, who played a leading role in developing the country’s missile program. From humble roots in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, Dr Kalam in an inspirational autobiography ‘The Wings of Fire’ traces the rise and the mark he made in life.
Mr. Arun Tiwari, a scientist, was a colleague of Dr Kalam.